Monday, September 28, 2009

Food and Fun in the Sun

Hello,

I made it back from Durban in one piece. It was a great long weekend. The highlight for me was going to the Prawn Shack, which is about an hour and a half outside of Durban. It is literally a two story shack on the beach. The first level is a bar and the second level is where you sit and get food. You arrive around 11:30am and have a 7 course meal that is spread throughout the day. In between courses you can go downstairs to the bar or take a walk to the beach. The food was delicious and atmosphere was laid-back. They have a shot of tequila in which they put in a small live prawn. We had to have one because it is a right of passage at this place. My shot had 5 prawns in it and one that was giant. It was awful! I can't believe I was convinced to do it. There were swings next to the bar instead of stools. They were a lot of fun until they became painful. No, they do not work like normal swings, my scrapped up and bruised knee is proof.

Yesterday we spent some time at the beach. I attempted to go surfing for a little while. I did catch a few waves on my stomach, but I was not able to stand up this time. The waves were a little tricky. We also ate a traditional African restaurant. I had an ostrich burger, it was really good. Ostrich meat is similar to beef, but it is healthier. We then had waffles and ice cream for desert. The theme of our weekend was definitely food.

Last night I found out that the Sports Science Institute would like me to come work for them from October 12 through December 12. They are based in Cape Town, so I will be moving there a little sooner than expected.  I will be working on a child outreach program on top of the projects that I am currently working on. At the moment I am working on a cycling race called Tour de Vino and an organization called the DAD Fund. I am going to be pretty busy for a while!

I will post videos (yes, videos!!) and photos later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment