Friday, September 4, 2009

Longest Travel EVER!

With just over one week before I begin my trek to SA I have a laundry list of things that I need to get done. Packing is still on the list.. I hate packing! In the past, I used to enjoy packing because it meant that I was traveling somewhere. When I would go to training camps in Mt Hood Oregon I would pack a month ahead of time. No joke. I was a packing nerd. After a few years, the excitement wore off. Now packing = stress.

Here is why I am dreading packing:

1. It is for a year!!!!!!
2. International airline weight restrictions are very different than domestic weight restrictions. (Guess who has to deal with both.. on three different days!)
3. My room is a disaster.
4. I am going to have a million carry-ons, including a guitar!

My travel plans have been finalized (almost) as of today. This will be quite a long journey, but I will be able to experience a lot of new places.

On Sunday the 13th I fly out of Minneapolis at 7am, it is a 3.5 hour drive from where I am currently living to the airport. I arrive in New York City at 10:45am. I will spend the entire day and night in NYC, a first for me! I fly out of JFK Monday the 14th at 11am. I land in Dubai on Tuesday morning. I will spend the day in Dubai, another first! My flight leaves Dubai at 4:40am on Wednesday the 16th. I land in Johannesburg around 10:30am on Wednesday the 16th. Do not be deceived by the timing of the flight from Dubai to Johannesburg, it is still a 10 hour flight, it is the time difference that tricks you.

If I look a little weary stepping off the plane in Johannesburg, I think my 3-4 day trip is a solid excuse. Not to forget the fact that I plan on doing fun things in-between flights. Rowena might meet up with me in NYC! That would be terrific! :)

Remember, you have to take the time to make opportunities for yourself. Do not be afraid to travel alone, you might meet some very interesting people and have wonderful, growing, experiences. Never shy away from a chance to experience something new and different. Change equals growth.

1 comment:

  1. wowwie wow..you are really doing it! yaaaahh! never doubted it for a second..just didn't know when..ha ha...can't wait to hear all about it...happy travels! cheers, rach

    ReplyDelete